tirsdag den 19. november 2013

5pointz, a very colorful landmark!

LATEST UPDATE
Tuesday, November 19, 2013

 

Sad news hit me yesterday, when the news of 5Pointz graffiti has been painted over by the owners of the building, read more about here: ny.curbed.com

 

Photo via Stephen Nessen/Twitter

 

From may 13

Today I visited what I think, is one of the world's most colorful landmark, The 5Pointz Aerosol Art Center, Inc. An outdoor art exhibit space in Long Island City, New York. A graffiti Mecca,” where aerosol artists from around the globe paint colorful pieces on the walls of a 200,000-square-foot factory building. 

I was sitting in the train the other day and on my way to midtown to photograph all my locations for my client momondo.dk, I looked out of the window and spottet this huge yellow building. It knocked me out, all I could see was graffiti. The building was bombed with colorful throw-ups and beatiful pieces of art. I had my eyes on it to I couldn't see it anymore. 

So today I decided I'd deserved a day off from work and just go see what the hell I want.
5pointz was a obvious choice!

I was amazed when I could see the building from the subway train. Already from a big distance I could see Biggie's big face on the roof/side of the building. So big, it looked he was staring at  you all the way to the Court Square station.





If you've been to NYC, you know about the food stands there. They are alll over the city and 80% of them must be standing in the heart of Manhattan! There was several garages for them in the 5pointz factory building.





 

 

I don't know this dude, but read the sign:-)

Adam Yauch, Beastie boys R.I.P


The gallery curator is graffiti veteran Jonathan Cohen, best known by his signature tag, “Meres One.” His goal is to convert the five-story, block-long industrial complex at Jackson Avenue and Davis Street, formerly the Phun Phactory, into a graffiti art museum.  

I was standing there admiring this graffiti artist, when he turned his head at me, stopped and walked over to his van picking something up.  I thought to myself, "Oh fuck another artist who is shy".

He came over to me and in his hand, there was a piece of paper. He asked if I wanted to sign it? 
It had big letters saying Landmark presservation Commission NYC, Request for evaluation! 

Meres told me that maybe already next year or the one after, The city of New York wants to bulldoze 5pointz and  replace it with two office buildings. I Can't believe that they even are considering it!? A place like this like this needs to stay. I had to sign, no question asked.


I hope in years when I come back to New York, 5pointz will still be there to admire!


 The best wishes and luck to Meres and his crew!


1 kommentar:

Unknown sagde ...

Fucking fed artikel Kenneth! :)